Classification: Full time Exempt (40 hours/week; including evening and weekend hours)
Salary Range: $40,000-$48,000
Manheim has an opportunity for a friendly, community oriented, and knowledgeable professional to become the new director of the Manheim Community Library. The Director will be responsible for the library’s day-to-day operations, representing the library to the community, and collaborating with volunteers, patrons, and colleagues. The Director reports to the Library Board of Trustees and will assure that the strategic plan and policies developed by the Library Board of Trustees will be implemented. Most importantly, the director will bring a love of people, a passion for public libraries, and the energy to envision new possibilities for the library. Also, the Director will assist in planning for a possible newly built Library facility.
The Manheim Community Library operates independently as a member of the Lancaster County Library System and serves over 20,000 residents in Manheim Borough, Penn Township, and a significant portion of Rapho Township. Located in Manheim Borough, the library serves as a major community center, well known for its children’s programs and workshops, active participation in community events, responsive staff and collaboration with area organizations in serving our community in myriad ways.
We seek a director committed to promoting the library within the community, continuing our excellent relationships with all constituencies. We envision a director who will work with the trustees and community volunteers in developing and implementing a new strategic plan, building on our successes and creating a new future.
Over the past few years we have seen great momentum at the Manheim Community Library, to include a newly formed Friends group that is over 200 members strong with a vibrant Board, a sizeable donation that will lead to a new facility, and growth in what had already been an awesome staff. We would love to partner with the right person to keep that momentum going, and even increase the pace!
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALAaccredited institution
- Professional Librarian Certification from the PA Department of Education
- Comprehensive knowledge of public library operations, aims and services
- Demonstrated ability to meet and interact with people easily, to motivate others, and to lead and work effectively as part of a team
- Knowledge of emerging technologies and their application to libraries.
- Supervisory and management experience in library services or other nonprofit settings.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and names of three references to:
Ken Hameloth, President, Board of Trustees
Manheim Community Library
41 Doe Run Road, Manheim, PA 17545
The position will remain open until filled, with a potential starting date at the earliest opportunity.
Youth Services Intern
Pay Range: $7.25 /hour
135 hours over 9 weeks
Tues., Wed., Thurs.
Hours per week: 15 hours per week.
Enthusiastic, creative and tireless best describe a Youth Services intern. This person supervises, executes and cleans-up after most of the Library’s summer programs and activities for youth. Held approximately four times a week, programs will promote reading, library use and stimulate curiosity. Responsibilities also include enhancing the children’s area of the library, including displays and bulletin boards to create a welcoming destination for families.
1. Meet Basic Library Job Qualifications (see page two)
2. Knowledgeable of Children’s and/or Young Adult Literature
3. Enjoys working with children, young adults and their parents
4. Able to demonstrate basic library-use skills including but not limited to alphabetizing and numerical ordering
5. Computer use experience
6. Able to assist patrons find library materials
7. Able to work with volunteers and patrons to assist them in following library policies and procedures
1. Supervise scheduled programming for children and youth in the Library, ensuring that set-up and clean-up for programming is done in a timely manner
2. Provide Director and Youth Services Coordinator timely information about programs and events
3. Provide Library staff with the support needed to ensure smooth operation of the summer reading program
4. Present a positive face to the community for the Library
5. Perform basic circulation desk operations as needed
6. Work with patrons to meet their library needs
7. Maintain Summer Reading Data for Youth Services Coordinator
8. Oversees the creation and set-up of displays
9. Additional duties as requested by the Youth Services Coordinator or Director
In-Library support for Summer Reading Program sign-up, activities and events, prize awarding, Library displays and circulation desk services.
• Tuesday – Reading Dogs
• Wednesday – SRP program at the Library
• Thursday – Storytime and Creative Writing Workshop
• Limited Miscellaneous Events on an as needed basis
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. First consideration will be given to applicants who apply by Friday, March 16th.
The Manheim Community Library supports workplace diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). All employees are required to obtain a PA Child Abuse History Clearance, PA Criminal Record check, and Federal Criminal Background Check.